Saturday, April 7, 2012

A day of trail magic 4-6-12

It rained all yesterday and today. Yesterday I hiked with barefoot, handbone, and cyote rob. Rob just came off the pct, but he had to leave because there was too much snow in the sierras so he came over to do the AT now, and will finish up the PCT later. I've met a few people getting there tripple crown on this hike (meaning they've hiked the PCT, CDT and the AT), and i'm surprised to hear that they think the AT is physically the most chalenging. There are no switchbacks here. Everything is straight up and straight down. I'm glad I bought some hiking poles at Niels gap or else my knees would probably allready been shot. Back to my hike ... I took shelter from the rain last night in a shelter and they left to go hiking with rob. Barefoot and handbone decided to stay back to meet some friends. Todays hike was the most misserable so far. Visibility was about 20 feet and the rain was really cold. But, a few miles into the the hike there was lady on the trail handing out warm muffins and hot chocolate! Then about three miles later, there was a group of people with shelter, fire, two kegs of beer, wine, eggs, potatoes, and ham to hand out to all of the hikers. What stated as the worst day turned out to be one of the best. Trail legend is that trail magic like that always comes when you need it most. I'm off the road to hiwassee right now, but I think I'll bypass it because I think I have enough food to get to the next town (especially after the feast today).

No comments:

Post a Comment