Thursday, May 10, 2012

A perfect day on the AT

Today was a perfect day to hike. The sun was warm but the air was cool and crisp and all of the views were crystal clear, and everything was DRY. I had a relatively easy day today, so I took the time to enjoy the views, watch the birds, and investigate the insects. The trail went by the dragons tooth which is a big monolith overlooking a valley. There is also a famous all-you-can-eat restaurant on the trail, which I will get to later, so I was planning to partially starve myself during the day in preparation, but around lunch time a came to a store at a road crossing that sold pizza and ice cream, and I couldn't resist. I got into Catawba, VA around 2:00 but the famous restaurant The Homeplace wasn't open yet (they only open from 4 to 8 thursday through sunday) so I spent my time chatting to the ladies behind the counter at the post office, the gas station, and the antique store. Those were the only things in town. Finally 4:00 rolled around and I made my way over to the Homeplace. I can best describe it as an all you can eat Cracker Barrel with lower prices and better food inside of an old ranch house on a 150 acre plot of land in the appalachians. The food was delicous and I soon became uncomfortably full. Oh, the place was packed too. Apparntly it is graduation weekend at virginia tech so a bunch of students and their families were there (the restaurant is one of the VA tech bucketlist things to do before you graduate). One hicker I know even got invited to a graduation party back in blacksburg. Talk about trail magic! I left the homelace with difficulty and left for my campsite. After dropping my stuff off I decided to climb up to Mcaffee's knob for sunset. The views are great from there so I will return there for sunrise tomorrow and on saturdy with Amy. Tomorrow I will meet amy in daleville, VA and take the weekend off.



No comments:

Post a Comment