Thursday, May 10, 2012

Waterfall swim and zip line

Sortly after the last post I came across a waterfall off the trail with a nice swimming hole under it so I decided to take a dip. I spent so much time swimming around and drying out that I lost track of time and soon it was getting dark. There was a supposed to be an awesome lookout at the mountain summit ahead, so I hauled ass up the moutain to get there for sunset. Unfortunately I didn't make it and I arrived shortly after dark. I camped there hoping to get in a good sunrise view. It wasn't meant to be ... I woke up in a clound that would persist for the next two days. It has been raining on and off. I find that I actually go quicker and cover more miles when it's raining, probably because I'm not tempted to stop and enjoy a view or rest by the river. So, I put in 60 miles over the past two days. My feet are definitely feeling it though, and I'll be taking it easier for the next two days. A few more things of note, I went to west Virginia, so I've got one more state under my belt. I bought a ticket to Budapest while i was at the pearisburg library, so i will be chilling there for a while after india. I saw the second largest tree on the AT (apparently the largest one is somewhere in NY), and I got a coke from the Captain. The Captain is a supper cool guy who lives accross the river from the AT. He set up a zip line accross the river so hikers could stop by for a drink or camp on his porch. Hopefully the rain will clear tonight because tomorrow is supposed to have several viewpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment